The new year marks the beginning of GISCO's next two-year theme "Inclusive Living Income Strategies". This theme was chosen during the strategy session on September 19, 2023. "Living Income" refers to the net income a household needs to earn to enable all members of the household to afford a decent standard of living under conditions of dignified work.
In the Special General Meeting of GISCO on June 23, 2023, the new individual goal 1 on living income was adopted:
"We advocate for continously improving the income conditions of cocoa farming households in producer countries, so that all households can achieve a living income. We collectively strive for at least 90% of households engaged in cocoa cultivation as their primary livelihood, and who supply cocoa to members of the GISCO for sale or processing in Germany, to attain a living income by 2030. We collaboratively develop strategies to achieve this goal."
What will we do this year to develop our strategies?
- Learning and exchange events: Expert inputs and panel discussion about the role of gender in living income strategies at ISM in Cologne on January 28, 2024.
- Annual Assembly on May 14, 2024, in Berlin: Together with our guests we will discuss how each member can contribute to closing the living income gap.
- Internal Working Group Meetings: Fostering open exchange and learning between our members.
- ISCO-Collaboration: WCC 2024 in Brussels together with our fellow ISCO secretariats to shape the road towards a living income collaboratively.
- Commitments: The publication of our members individual roadmaps on living income by the end of 2024.
- Accountability: We will publish our Monitoring Report in the second half of 2024 with a focus on living income.